Consultation has concluded
Council is proposing to upgrade the intersection of Young Road/Oakey Flat Road/Sovereign Drive in Narangba from a roundabout to a signalised intersection to improve safety and efficiency.
This upgrade will respond to current and future expected increases in traffic volumes, as well as safety concerns raised by nearby residents and road users to Council staff and the Divisional Councillor.
The signalised intersection will include:
- the installation of traffic signals
- additional traffic lanes to provide dedicated lanes for turning traffic
- on road bicycle lanes
- pedestrian crossing facilities
- new landscaping provision at the intersection
- new sign and line markings
- green infrastructure pavement marking to notify motorist as to the possible presence of wildlife on the roads around the intersection
- new flood/drainage infrastructure including a new culvert, designed to also facilitate the safe passage of wildlife.
Click here view the design plan for the intersection upgrade.
Council sought feedback on the Oakey Flat Road and Young Road intersection upgrade between 19 November 2021 and 9 January 2022. Thank you to everyone who participated.
We received feedback from several community members about the preference for the intersection to stay operating as a roundabout.
When designing road infrastructure upgrades, we take into considerate both the current and future traffic demands. This is to ensure our road network continues to service our communities well into the future.
In the case of the Young Road/Oakey Flat Road intersection, the traffic demand is expected to significantly increase due to development in the area and the increased strategic importance of Oakey Flat Road to the broader road network. The composition of users is also likely to change due to surrounding development with more pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users expected.
Installing traffic signals will ensure the intersection is able to accommodate the expected increased traffic demand and provide a safer facility for vulnerable road users such as cyclists and pedestrians, including school children.