As we look to the future and what we want to see for the Moreton Bay region, it’s the strategic documents we are developing today that will provide the roadmap for achieving our vision over the next 20 years.
Our Environment and Sustainability Strategy will guide Council’s role in supporting healthy environments and resilient, sustainable, inclusive and connected communities for the next 20 years.
We need your help to make sure our goal, our strategy and our outcome areas reflect the values and priorities of our communities.
Key services we deliver
What we'll be focusing on
To achieve our vison and goal, we’ll be focusing on the following outcome areas:
- Our special natural areas and wildlife habitats are connected, protected and enhanced. Council programs protect, restore and rehabilitate natural areas and wildlife habitats. We’ll work in partnership with stakeholders to improve conservation outcomes.
- Our coasts and waterway catchments are used sustainably, and environmental values are protected and enhanced. Council programs focus on improving and regenerating waterway, catchment and coastal health through education and restoration programs and reducing waste entering waterways.
- Our neighbourhoods, buildings and infrastructure support sustainable living. Council provides green space, natural areas and facilitates walking and cycling. We focus on water and energy efficiency, sustainable building design, and supporting local economic opportunities and social connectedness.
- We understand and proactively respond to climate change and natural hazard risks. Council and communities work together to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to the impacts of a changing climate on the frequency and intensity of storms, bushfires, heatwaves and floods.
- We enable our materials and resources to be used cleverly and recycled to avoid waste and pollution. Council adopts innovative and efficient ways to recycle, repurpose and reuse materials and facilitates this in the community.
- Our communities and businesses practice sustainability in the choices they make every day. Council, businesses and communities embrace sustainability by using renewable energy and low emission products, minimising waste and supporting local food producers and other local businesses.
If you want to read more about the proposed key focus areas for the Strategy, influences on the environment in the region and Council’s current responses an Information Paper has been prepared. Click here to read the information paper.
More information about our key plans is available here in the Corporate Plan 2022-2027.
Thank you to everyone who has participated during March/April 2022 in the consultation about our Environment and Sustainability Strategy.
Over 2,000 people got involved and had their say by participating in the Our Moreton Summit, online recap and discussion or completing the survey.
You can read the Engagement Summary Report here.
The strategy team is using the insights from this consultation to inform the development of the draft strategy.
We'll be giving our communities the opportunity to provide feedback on the draft strategy once it is ready later in 2022.