We are transforming Cosmos Park
Creating vibrant and healthy communities is a priority for Council. We are planning to transform Cosmos Park, Banksia Beach into a District Recreation Park that caters to a variety of users, now and into the future.
Cosmos Park is approximately 7,500m2 and is an important part of the Banksia Beach community. The park is home to the Bribie Island Croquet Club and Tennis Club and adjoins the Solander Lake Bowls Club. The park currently offers a range of recreation activities and includes a Dog Off-Leash Area (DOLA) and a large kickabout space.
The size, location and uniqueness of Cosmos Park mean that it is a key recreational site for the community. When the planned upgrades are completed, it will be the first park of District Recreation standard on Bribie Island.
District Recreation Parks provide a large park area and informal recreation opportunities for users from several neighbourhoods. Strategically located within easy walking distance of residences, these spaces meet the long-term, ongoing needs of our communities.
Enriching a community-focused, coastal park
Council has prepared a Concept Plan to guide the future development of Cosmos Park. The plan seeks to ensure the park is inclusive for all community members and offers district-level recreation opportunities.
The current park layout doesn’t support the functionality of a District Recreation Park, so the Concept Plan adjusts the layout to do that, and includes:
- celebration of the location and context of Bribie Island, providing a shady, coastal themed play environment with links to nature
- retention of tree cover and existing natural shade
- improved park amenities including additional picnic shelters and seating
- slightly larger DOLA and separate areas for large and small dogs, improved fencing and more seating for dog owners
- retention of existing buildings
- improved safety, accessibility and pedestrian movement throughout the park
- fitness equipment that caters to a range of ages and abilities, and a basketball hoop and key
- Moreton Bay's first Council-owned pickleball courts.
Once finalised, the plan will guide the transformation of the park through key stages of upgrade delivery. The first stage will include:
- relocation and upgrade of the DOLA with separate spaces for large and small dogs
- four new pickleball courts, basketball hoop and key and outdoor fitness equipment
- more accessible pathways and connections into and throughout the park including links from Tradewinds Drive and the existing carpark
- new picnic shelters, seating, softscape and shade tree planting
- improvements to drainage.
Between 9 August and 6 September 2023, we invited community feedback on the Concept Plan and the style of play at Cosmos Park. Consultation has now closed.
Thank you for completing the survey and sharing your views with us.
We are now considering that feedback and preparing an Engagement Summary and finalising the Concept Plan. The report and final plan will be made available on this page when they are completed.